Monday, October 20, 2008

Kaitlyn Turns 7!!!

Here's some pictures from Kaitlyn's birthday party. She usually gets a little shafted on her birthday, so this year we thought we'd go all out and do a big one. She'd been talking for months about her birthday. She wanted it to be a Jungle or Safari one. Luckily on family fun's website they had an entire Jungle Safari theme, which I stole all my ideas from. :)
The kids got to decorate their pith helmets with jungle bugs and frogs and stuff. They thought it was pretty cool.


Each of the kids got a mini flashlight and they had to go on a snake hunt in a dark cave (uh, our bedroom) to find them all. One of the poor girls got quite scared and had to be emergency evacuated.

The snacks were Jungle Juice (Kool-aid), Beetle Wings (potato chips), Fried Ants (Raisins), Snake Eggs (Grapes), and Live Worms (sliced/cooked hot dogs). I thought the kids would be disgusted at my lack of sugary snacks, but they couldn't get enough. Not sure if it was the cool names of the treats, or that they really loved all those things. Either way, it was fun.



They had to go on an "expedition" through the jungle. Through a bat cave, under poisonous vines, through snake territory, over piranha rivers and quicksand, all the while carrying their "expedition supplies" which included their backpack and bed roll. They took it so seriously, it was hilarious.


Here's the slimy snake cake -- which, thanks to my talented brother John, got decorated. I was running around all morning doing other things, trying to finish some projects and things, and came home, with no cake made or decorated 2 hours before the party started. Thanks again John!

At the end, they had to rescue their base camp supplies out of a tree. As with all pinatas, it was dangerous, but fun. Our house is still decorated like a jungle. It was too much work to take down right away, and then we left for Colorado for a week! Anyone want some jungle leaves and vines?

8 comments:

Hezstone said...

TOO FREAKING CUTE!! Love it!! What a blast...and I love the food and decorations...way to go super mom...

Laura said...

You are such an awesome Mom!!! My kids are lucky if their presents are WRAPPED!!!!! (hee,hee)

Kathie said...

Well ladies.... truth be told, the girl didn't even GET a present. I totally forgot. I used the excuse that it wasn't technically her birthday, she'd have to wait until THE DAY. Luckily, as I was out getting last minute things for the next days 14 hour drive to Colorado, Megan called me and was like "Did you get Kate's present? You told her you would today!!!" For yes... indeed, it was her birthday that day. I didn't even wish her a happy birthday on her way out the door!!! :( Lucky kid??

Liz said...

Um, I would TOTALLY trade an entire jungle house and humungoid party for the lack of "Happy b-day" before school. You are AWESOME! I'd better not show Noelle all those freakin adorable pictures so she doesn't get any ideas...

Angela Killpack said...

Wow it looks like a lot of fun. Happy Birthday Kaitlyn!! :)

Courtney said...

You get the mom of the year award!Super cute!

sara said...

Hi Paul & Kathie! Long story on how I found your blog but anyway it's great to see what you guys are up to; your kids are so cute. That jungle party is such a great idea! Anyway you might remember me from BYU 99th ward and also Paul & I had lots of mutual friends in high school.
Have a great weekend!

Tina Manumaleuga said...

FUn FUn FUN!!! I want a hat too! You are the planner Kathie! I am so impressed! SO what do you charge? Are you ready to do Noah's party next June? Maya's in July? LOL

It looks like she had a blast!! She knows she has a great mommy and yes she is lucky!