Sunday, August 31, 2008

My Mom


Well, I've been procrastinating this post for quite a while. It's easier to ignore things you don't like than think about them, let alone TALK about them!

Ten days ago my mom was diagnosed with cancer -- a really bad cancer. Not than any cancer is good, but she has the kind that doesn't really have "remission" or "survival" rates. She has a rare form of cancer in the lining of her lung called mesothelioma. It's usually attributed to exposure to asbestos... but who knows where it came from. I've added a link to the new blog we've started for her (hey, we've been telling her she should start one up... now she has a reason!) so you can read about what started this whole crazy deal. Some of my family have already written posts about this, and I don't think I can say anything better than they have, so I won't try. All I will say is this has been, so far, the hardest 10 days of my life. First off, to have to watch my mom suffer in the hospital (suffering in pain, and suffering just as much being stuck in a hospital, in a bed for a week and a half was torture in itself for her. She is a VERY active person.) and then to have this crazy news broken to us, it's more than I ever thought I'd have to deal with. But in the midst of all of it... I know there is a reason. I've said that before during times of trial (a lot when we were in college and poorer than dirt) and I meant it then, but I really truly believe it, especially during this, the most difficult of times. There have already been blessings and small miracles, and changes in our family that could have come in no other way. I am not sure how any of us are going to make it through the coming months and years... but I am grateful like never before for a large and loving family. I take back the complaints of having to share a room with 3 other girls, my brothers picking on me, having to sit in the back of the car (feet on the hump!) or anything else. I am grateful for a mom and dad who taught love and respect, and grateful that we kind of remembered some of those things, and that we are a close family.

I'm grateful for the many many people who have reached out to my mom and our family. There have been so many cards, letters, flowers, and especially prayers. Thanks to everyone who is continuing to pray for our family.

As hard as it is, life keeps dragging us along, whether we want to or not. There's still groceries to be bought, the house to clean, yard work, toilets to de-root, rip out and replace (another fun home improvement project that went 12 hours too long) and kids that need attention. It seems unfair to have to continue living life like nothing is wrong, but oh well! Like I said, we'll make it through one way or the other.

On a little happy note -- the girls finally saved up enough money to buy a bearded dragon -- but luckily we convinced them that a bunny would be cheaper, cuter and easier to keep alive... so we went and picked out a little guy they named Oreo, on Friday night. He is very sweet, but gets jittery when the cats come in the room. The cats are so into themselves they haven't even noticed the new kid. Oreo has a tiny skinny tongue that peeks out sometimes, and when he gets comfy he crosses his 2 front paws. It's quite cute.



So, now we are caught up. I haven't been able to write a post about my mom until now... but I couldn't get myself to put up any other posts about anything else... I haven't really THOUGHT about anything else in the past 2 1/2 weeks! Thanks again to everyone for your thoughts and prayers.

5 comments:

Angela Killpack said...

Wow Kathie, we are deeply sorry to hear of this. Our thoughts and prayers are with your mom and your family. Let us know of anything we can do for you. :)
Love,
Ang & Cory

Laura said...

Beautifully put, Kathie. I know what you mean about not being able to post about anything else. I draw strength from your faith and courage. I love you dearly!!!!

Courtney said...

You guys are defiantly in thoughts and prayers. We love you guys! you are a great example to me. You are really amazing!

Adkins Family said...

We are really sorry to hear about your mom. But you are so strong. Everything you go through will only make you stronger. Like you said, it all happens for a reason, and you will get through it somehow. You are definitely in our prayers. And I have to say, that picture of your mom and Jack is the most precious thing.

Liz said...

Kathie, that was a beautiful post. You are so gifted in so many ways! I think everyone that knows you and your family gather strength from you all. Thanks for being examples of courage and faith. And yes, you're all in our prayers and if you need ANYTHING just to call and ask. I agree with the last comment, that picture of your mom and Jack should be framed. It's perfect!